I’ve mentioned in my previous posts that I’ve had my birthday last month. And it is no secret that I love books and reading, so it is no surprise that I got a bookstore GC as a gift.
A real good friend of mine whom I have been in LDR with for a loooong time gave it to me. We were friends from college but after graduation we don’t see each other much since we live in different islands of the Philippines.
We see each other mainly when she visits Manila which is around once a year.. It’s not much but I do feel really close to her despite the distance. Anyway, last year she went to the US for an internship and she’s due to go home in 2 months time. We send each other gifts on our birthdays and thus, the Gift Certificate for my birthday!
Here’s the thing about BOOK GC’s when given to us book lovers (whose version of retail therapy happens in bookstores) – we spend WAY ABOVE the GC amount. And well, I spent.. 150% of the GC amount. I have to say, I really really even controlled myself!!! There were a loooot of books I didn’t buy that day…
What books did I buy? Here they are:
- The Heir by Keira Cass – Guilty pleasure! I followed the The Selection Series and I was so happy to get a copy of the book!
- Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan – I have read many reviews of this book and many seem to love this book.
- The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson – When I first saw this, I wasn’t even familiar that it was already a movie. I still haven’t seen the movie or have any idea who are in it. I just knew then that the title and the cover were intriguing and I wanted it. And now I have it!
- Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn – I watched the movie. I loved the movie. Thus, I know I needed to read the book. The time has come.
- IT by Stephen King – Believe it or not, I only “discovered” Stephen King last year. I know of his works but I never really read one. My previous boss noticed I read a lot of books and asked what King books I have read. I said – none. She couldn’t believe it and she made me borrow 2 of her Stephen King books. Now I know why he’s a bestseller. And well, I want to get more acquainted with him. 🙂
So.. there you have it. My very recent book haul! 😀